How lucky to be so near so many totally cool places?!?!
Out of the numerous Official National Historic Sites for New York State, The Bavarian Manor Country Inn is located just 20 minutes from 3 of them! Take some time and check them out.
Olana – country home of Frederic Edwin Church, famous Hudson River School of Art (www.nysparks.com)
Cedar Grove Museum – Catskill Mt. home of Thomas Cole, founder of Hudson River School of Art (www.thomascole.org.)
- The Kaaterskill Clove Experience. Follow the beautiful ART TRAIL and see the sights exactly where they were painted. www.greatnortherncatskills.com/Kaaterskill-Clove.
The Bronck House Museum – ancestral home of the family from where “The Bronx” New York was named. (www.gchistory.org)!
Clermont State Historic Site (Home of the Livingston family, one of the signer’s of the Declaration of Independence, visited by Martha Washington and Robert Fulton’s steamship..the Clermont) www.friendsofclermont.org.
- 5 minutes from Cairo, NY – www.cairochamberofcommerce.weebly.com
- 20 minutes to Windham, NY – www.windhamchamber.org
- 20 minutes to Saugerties, NY – www.discoversaugerties.com
- 25 minutes to Hudson, NY – www.gothudson.net
- 25 minutes to the Village of Woodstock, NY. www.woodstockchamber.com
- Speaking of Woodstock, visit Bethel NY, home of the 1969 Woodstock festival. www.bethelwoodscenter.org.
For all festival and tourist activities – check out www.greatnortherncatskills.com
If ADVENTURE is on your agenda, check these out….
The Catskill Mountains – #1 reason to come to the Catskills.
- Great trail information can be found at www.catskillguide.com
- Hike the great mountain trails at North & South Lake at the Catskill Mt. Forest Preserve. Stop by the Kaaterskill waterfall.
- Check out the Mountain Top Arboretum at www.mtarboretum.org. Enjoy many interesting features on it’s 23 acres of native wild life. Open dawn to dusk everyday.
- Chase the wild – get information on bird-watching, fishing and hunting at www.greatnortherncatskills.com.
- Kayak or power boat on the Hudson River just 15 minutes from here. www.riverviewmarinesservices.com.
- Exciting world class striped bass fishing on the Hudson. www.reelhappyfishingcharters.com.
- Leisure touring on the Hudson River with hudsonrivercruises.com.
- Whitewater tubing on the Esopus Creek at www.towntinker.com.
Golf – 9 unique and challenging golf courses. www.greenecountrygolf.com
Great year round action at Windham Mountain (20 minutes) (www.windhammountain.com) & at Hunter Mountain (1/2 hour) www.huntermtn.com.Mountain Bike Trails – Greene County has 2 major trails that are awesome. More are coming.
- Harding Road is 12.7 miles and is “rigorous & amazing” “views are far-reaching” and the scenery is “savage and wild”!
- Old Mountain Turnpike is 16 miles and some of the turns are called “Featherbed Hill”, “Dead Ox Hill” and “Rip Van Winkle Hollow”! WOW!
Explore the world famous Howe Caverns underground cave system. New York state’s #2 natural attraction after Niagara Falls. Check out their new waterball ride and zip line. Crazy fun! Well worth it!
Swim in the Great Catskills #1 family Water Park – Zoom Flume
More Year-round festivals and activities at
Catskill Mountain Foundation – interesting exhibits
Windham Chamber Music Festival – great music
Agroforestry Resource Center – lots of interesting programs
Greene County Council on the Arts – local artists