Welcome to the Bavarian Manor Inn and Restaurant in Purling, New York
This is where history combines with hospitality and tradition ….
“The hotel itself has a long tradition behind it. The first record on the hotel books was made in 1865, when Mr. Heinecke, the original owner, began taking in guests, who came to enjoy the medicinal advantages of the springs on the property.”
Excerpt from “The Capital Region of New York State…Crossroads of Empire, by Francis P. Kimball (1942)
And the story continues !
The rooms – are lovely and comfortable. Each tastefully decorated and complemented with modern amenities.
The restaurant – is sought out for it’s new award-winning cuisine in an old world atmosphere. The restaurant is open Thursday – Sunday. Closed Monday – Wednesday. Early midweek – visit local restaurants nearby.
The Great Northern Catskill Mountains – are full of adventure and The Bavarian Manor Country Inn is located right in the middle of all! See if you can find the Bavarian in this YouTube video. Spring in the Great Northern Catskills
Why is it called “The Great Northern Catskill Mountains”? Did you know that the history of vacationing in the United States started here? It is the northern region of the Catskills Mountains that first started boarding guests who came to the mountains to ease their home-sickness for the mountains of the old country. The wealthy came for their health and to take in the natural beauty of the land. Today, the Great Northern Catskill Mountains continue to entice visitors year-round with it’s breathtaking scenery and adventure. World-wide attention to hiking, skiing, farm to table dining, exciting festivals, shopping, history, exploring and relaxing – all become part of your visit here. Artists such as Thomas Cole, Asher B. Durand and Frederic Church were captivated with it’s spiritual-like beauty creating the Hudson River School of Art from these very mountains. This is the “Land of Rip Van Winkle”.
To find out exactly where we are located, please go the webpage “About Us” and click on the directions link.Come and enjoy the relaxed friendly hospitality that is The Bavarian Manor Country Inn. We hope to sway those opinions that feel that newer is better…. Appreciate country friendliness. The people you will meet, the accommodations and the food styles are all relaxed and a bit laid back. We’ve been around too long to be pretentious. Of course, with guests records that go back to 1865, the building has some history to it. Some of the walls are crooked, some of the floors are slanted and sometimes the building creaks. So just how does that explain why the Bavarian Manor Country Inn is so popular? The answer to that is simple.…
The Bavarian Manor Country Inn has a great sense of place.
Washington Irving called the Catskill Mountains a “spell-bound region”. When you arrive you feel it. This historic Victorian country hotel has been a Catskill Mountain landmark since 1865. Starting out as a mineral water health spa, then becoming “The Columbian” and then in the early 1930’s, it was purchased by the current owner’s grandparents and renamed The Bavarian Manor Country Inn. It’s mission, as stated over 145 years ago, has been to offer guests a calm oasis from a stressful world in a friendly and gracious manner. It was once written (in the 1940’s) that the Inn attracts a happy and carefree group. That is true today as well. Come and sit on our lovely porch in all seasons! Enjoy the fresh air, open sky, peace and rest. We like to see our guests come back time and time again and look forward to meeting new guests.
There is a sign someone gave us. It says “Stress Free Zone”. Can you relate?
In recent years, the hotel has been honored to be one of 3 top choices of Bed & Breakfast of Distinction by the New York State Hospitality and Tourism Association. The restaurant is well known for it’s delicious cuisine, winning numerous recognition and awards. Most recently…
- 2015 – First Place – We’re Outta Here! Hotel Escape – Backroads Motorcycle Tour Magazine Best of 2015 Edition
- 2015 – Best Restaurant in Greene County – Hudson Valley Magazine
- 2015 – Best Bratwurst – Hudson Valley Magazine
- 2014 – Bed & Breakfast of Distinction Award ! New York State Hospitality & Tourism Association (NYSTHA) has recognized us as the B&B of Distinction in all of New York.- Thank you!
- Featured by Greene County (NY) Historical Society in Past & Present 2014 Calendar
- May 2013 & 2014 – Best Hudson Valley Inn ! One of the Top 3 – As voted by the readers of Capital Region Living Magazine – Thank you!
- 2012- Best Schnitzel in the Hudson Valley ! As voted by the readers of Hudson Valley Magazine – Thank you !
- 2012 – Registered Historic Site Award by the Greene County Historical Register of New York
- New York Daily News – “This secluded rambling country inn is worth seeking out for it’s old world charm and robust German cooking. While the menu is part German they feature an interesting variety of specials every week….When you drive in the curved driveway, you instantly get a friendly feeling of a comfortable easy-going relaxed sense of peace. No pretense here. The big front veranda is set up with lots of wicker chairs and flowers, a slight breeze is always blowing and it’s the place to letting out all pent up stress”
This is not your ordinary hotel. It’s 150 years of hospitality history. The current owner’s family history of owning this hotel started in 1931. Each staff member is carefully hired and encouraged to make each guest comfortable.
There are 18 bedrooms, a cocktail lounge and a full service restaurant on it’s 100 acres. All rooms feature private bath, cable tv, free wi-fi, a/c, in-room coffee, alarm clocks (if you really have to), all but the “cozy/charming” category have mini-fridges, some have jetted bathtubs and fireplaces. The hearty full menu made-to-order country breakfast that’s served at your private table is the perfect way to start each day.
We’re pet-friendly. See our pet policy located on our “Accommodations” page !
You will note a distinct European atmosphere along with it’s Catskill Mountain essence. Stan and Suzanne are 3rd generation family innkeepers keeping tradition alive. Suzanne’s grandparents and parents are from Bavaria, Germany and the Inn has been in her family over 80 years. Stan was born in Poland. They met while Stan was working here during a summer hiatus from cooking on ships! The restaurant they started is a C.I.A. and California Culinary approved extern teaching kitchen.Through the years, the Inn has been nicely reviewed by national magazines & newspapers for it’s food, value and style….
- New York’s Daily News
- Travel Holiday Magazine
- Kaatskill Life Magazine
- Hudson Valley Magazine
- Capital Region Living
- Edible Hudson Valley
- Backroads – Motorcycles, Travel & Adventure