Welcome to the Bavarian Manor Inn and Restaurant in Purling, New York
This is where hospitality and tradition combine with history.
“The hotel itself has a long tradition behind it. The first record on the hotel books was made in 1865, when Mr. Heinecke, the original owner, began taking in guests, who came to enjoy the medicinal advantages of the springs on the property.”
Excerpt from: “The Capital Region of New York State…Crossroads of Empire, by Francis P. Kimball (1942)
And the story continues!
We offer 150 years (plus 1) of hospitality experience. The current owner’s family history of owning this hotel started in 1931. You will note a certain European atmosphere along with it’s Catskill Mountain essence. Stan and Suzanne are 3rd generation family innkeepers keeping tradition alive. Suzanne’s grandparents and parents are from Bavaria, Germany and the Inn has been in her family over 80 years. Stan was born in Poland. They met while Stan was working here during a summer hiatus from cooking on ships! The restaurant they started is a C.I.A. and California Culinary approved extern teaching kitchen. For more history, click on the “About Us” page.
There are 18 bedrooms, a cocktail lounge and a full service restaurant on it’s 100 acres. All rooms feature private bath, cable tv, free wi-fi, a/c, in-room coffee, alarm clocks (if you really have to), all but the “cozy/charming” category have mini-fridges, some have jetted bathtubs and fireplaces. Each staff member is carefully hired and encouraged to make each guest comfortable. The hearty full menu made-to-order country breakfast that’s served at your private table is the perfect way to start each day.
The Great Northern Catskill Mountains – are full of adventure and The Bavarian Manor Country Inn is located right in the middle of it all! See if you can find the Bavarian in this YouTube video. Spring in the Great Northern Catskills
The rooms – are lovely and comfortable. You and your pets can enjoy them together, each one being tastefully decorated and complemented with modern amenities.
The restaurant – is sought out for it’s new award-winning cuisine in an old world atmosphere. Open Thursday through Sunday, it makes for a great weekend destination!
Committed to the environment – Guests wouldn’t know it, but this 19th century country inn fitted solar hot water panels onto their building! You can also check out the 52Kw solar panel array in the lower field.Come and enjoy the relaxed friendly hospitality that is The Bavarian Manor Country Inn. The people you will meet, the accommodations and the food styles are all relaxed and a bit laid back. Don’t be afraid to smile and nod hello. We offer country friendliness but temper it with a good dose of respectful privacy.
There is a sign someone gave us. It says “Stress Free Zone”. Can you relate?
We hope to sway those opinions that feel that newer is best. Our mission, as stated over 145 years ago, has been to offer guests “a calm oasis from a stressful world in a friendly and gracious manner.” We’ve been around too long to be pretentious. Of course, with guests records that go back to 1865, the building has some history to it. Some of the walls are crooked, some of the floors are slanted and sometimes the building creaks. So just how does that explain why the Bavarian Manor Country Inn is so popular? The answer to that is simple….
The Bavarian Manor Country Inn has a great sense of place.
Washington Irving called the Catskill Mountains a “spell-bound region”. When you arrive, you feel it. This historic Victorian country hotel has been a Catskill Mountain landmark since 1865. Starting out as a family farm turned boarding house, then mineral water health spa and becoming “The Columbian” and then in the early 1930’s, it was purchased by the current owner’s grandparents and renamed The Bavarian Manor Country Inn. It was once written (in the 1940’s) that the Inn attracts a happy and carefree group. That is true today as well. Come and sit on our lovely porch in all seasons! Enjoy the fresh air, open sky, peace and rest. We like to see our guests come back time and time again and look forward to meeting new guests.
To find out exactly where we are located, please go the webpage “About Us” and click on the directions link.
Why are they called “The Great Northern Catskill Mountains?”
Did you know that the history of vacationing in the United States started here? It is the northern region of the Catskill Mountains that first started boarding guests who came to ease their home-sickness for the mountains of their home country. The wealthy came for their health and to take in the natural beauty of the land. Today, the Great Northern Catskill Mountains continue to entice visitors year-round with it’s breathtaking scenery and adventure.
People from around the world come here for the hiking, skiing, farm to table dining, exciting festivals, shopping, history, exploring and relaxing. Just like these world travelers, all of this can become part of your visit here! Artists such as Thomas Cole, Asher B. Durand and Frederic Church were captivated with it’s spiritual-like beauty creating the Hudson River School of Art from these very mountains. This is the “Land of Rip Van Winkle”.
Not that it’s gone to our heads…but
In recent years, the hotel has been honored to be one of 3 top choices of Bed & Breakfast of Distinction by the New York State Hospitality and Tourism Association. The restaurant is well known for it’s delicious cuisine, winning numerous recognition and awards. Most recently…
- Check us out on page 295 of The Catskills, It’s History and How It Changed America by Stephen M. Silverman and Raphael D. Silver.
- Check 2015 – First Place – We’re Outta Here! Hotel Escape – Backroads Motorcycle Tour Magazine Best of 2015 Edition
- 2015 – Best Restaurant in Greene County – Hudson Valley Magazine
- 2015 – Best Bratwurst – Hudson Valley Magazine
- 2014 – Bed & Breakfast of Distinction Award ! New York State Hospitality & Tourism Association (NYSTHA) has recognized us as the B&B of Distinction in all of New York.- Thank you!
- Featured by Greene County (NY) Historical Society in Past & Present 2014 Calendar
- Summer 2013 – FOCUS Magazine – featuring the inn’s committment to solar energy.
- May 2013 & 2014 – Best Hudson Valley Inn ! One of the Top 3 – As voted by the readers of Capital Region Living Magazine – Thank you!
- 2012- Best Schnitzel in the Hudson Valley ! As voted by the readers of Hudson Valley Magazine – Thank you !
- 2012 – Registered Historic Site Award by the Greene County Historical Register of New York
- New York Daily News – “This secluded rambling country inn is worth seeking out for it’s old world charm and robust German cooking. While the menu is part German they feature an interesting variety of specials every week….When you drive in the curved driveway, you instantly get a friendly feeling of a comfortable easy-going relaxed sense of peace. No pretense here. The big front veranda is set up with lots of wicker chairs and flowers, a slight breeze is always blowing and it’s the place to letting out all pent up stress”
Through the years, the Inn has been nicely reviewed by national magazines & newspapers for it’s food, value and style….
- New York’s Daily News
- Travel Holiday Magazine
- Kaatskill Life Magazine
- Hudson Valley Magazine
- Capital Region Living
- Edible Hudson Valley
- Backroads – Motorcycles, Travel & Adventure